In this section you can find professional organizations.
These groups include:
- Advisory and action groups. These are organizations that advocate for ethical or professional standards. They often advise legislators, government agencies, or professional organizations. These are governing bodies for archaeologists.
- Cultural resource management, contract, or commercial firms. These are the companies that work on commercial contracts such as pipelines, resource surveys, or mitigation excavations. These companies are the primary employers of the professional workforce.
- Museums. These are maritime or archaeological museum with collections pertaining to maritime archaeology, from archives to collections containing shipwrecks.
- Parks and Sanctuaries. These are national or local park and protected areas containing in situ shipwrecks, cultural landscapes, or other aspects of maritime cultures.
- Research Institutions. These are universities, NGOs, non-profits, and other organizations engaged in professional research. This section pertains to underwater research, so for educational institutions see the Education section.